Public Speaking and Presentation: Learning from Standup Comedy with Gerry Thompson
Just about everyone needs to be able to speak in public or make a professional presentation – whether it’s a regular work requirement, or perhaps just the occasional one-off, such as a speech at a wedding. Either way, it can be a very challenging experience – about 60% of the population suffer from Glossophobia or fear of public speaking.
In this workshop we explore how many different approaches used by standup comedians can help with this challenge, enabling us to be both more confident and more effective. After all, standups are extraordinary speakers/presenters, often in the most challenging of circumstances – so they must know a thing or two about overcoming the difficulties involved. The yurt keeper has coached many thousands of individuals and companies in speaking and presentation.
What you will get from the session:
- How to engage with an audience
- How to build confidence and overcome nerves or anxiety
- How to structure a talk or presentation
- How to begin well, and how to end well
- How to generate and use appropriate humour to enhance your impact and memorability
- How to think on your feet, respond to unexpected developments, and turn disaster into advantage
- The importance of being yourself